Stairlifts have been around for quite some time and have been seen as a great solution to mobility issues. However, recently home lifts are changing the game and as many people have started using them they prefer a home lift over a stairlift.
What is the difference between a home lift and a stairlift?
Firstly, a stairlift is inexpensive and much more convenient to install. It only takes a few hours. Whereas a home lift can take a few weeks to install and the cost is much higher.
Secondly, a stairlift is much more noticeable. It can be folded when it is not being used so the stairs can be utilised. Whereas, if you are installing a home lift specifically one with a shaft, it can be made less noticeable from people.
Lastly, a home lift costs much more than a stairlift.
Pros and cons of home lift and stairlift
Before you decide which one to install, you need to weigh out the pros and cons of both. Here is a little information that will aid you in reaching a decision.
Pros of a home lift
- Adds to the value of your property and so the resale value goes up
- You have a variety of designs to choose from
- Can easily access any floor of the house
- Not limited to one person, more than one can make use of it at a time
- Much faster
Cons of a home lift
- Long installation period
- Uses up a vast space
- Installation can be very loud and a hindrance
- Needs to be maintained regularly
Pros of a stairlift
- Quick installation, only takes hours
- Doesn’t make any noise
- An option of DIY is also available with stairlifts
- You can access any floor of the house
- Takes up less space
Cons of a stairlift
- Doesn’t add to the value of property
- If the stairs in your house are narrow then a stairlift might be a hindrance
- Needs maintenance
- Not many design options available
- One passenger at a time
The verdict – Which one is better?
Only you can answer this question. The one that is better for you depends on your requirements. In reality, both are great options to install and make mobility easier. Depending on your needs and budget you can choose the one that suits you.
We offer both stairlifts and home lifts and our products are specifically made for the sick and elderly to make their lives easier. There is a range of options to choose from in both stairlifts and home lifts. To finalise your decision, you can get a free quote from us here or giving us a call on 0800 699 0017.
Furkan is the founder of Britannia Mobility. He has over 12 years experience of working in the mobility aids sector, and is passionate about researching ways in which people can live longer and more independently own their own homes.